About 10 shops were razed in an early morning fire that occurred at the male hostel of the Veritas University in Bwari Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory.
It was gathered that the fire started around 1am and caused panic among students.
A student, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the fire was caused by a spark from the school’s generator.
He said, “The hostel wasn’t burnt but all the shops around the area were burnt. They sell food, drinks and provisions in the shops. Students tried to quench the fire before the arrival of the firefighters. The fire was actually caused by sparks from the school’s generator. The generator house exploded and the fire caught the first shop that was close to it then it spread to the others. Now all that is left is just debris and all the shop owners are weeping and counting their losses.”
The spokesperson for the institution, Enuwa Obekpa, confirmed the incident, adding that 10 makeshift shops got razed by the inferno.
She said, “Some makeshift shops in front of the boys’ hostel went up in flames. About 10 of them were affected. It is not the school as it has been speculated.”
The spokesperson for the Federal Fire Service, Abraham Paul, said he could not be immediately ascertained.
He said, “We can confirm that we got a distress call around 1am today (Saturday) and we referred them to the FCT fire service in Bwari. As to the level of damage and cause of the fire, our investigator would hit the place and brief us after their investigation.”
Contact: [email protected]