The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Monday, met with the families of the victims of the Sabon Gari explosion in Kano to express his condolences and that of the nation.
The PUNCH reported that at least nine persons were killed and 22 injured last Tuesday after an explosion that led to the collapse of a building close to a popular market in the Sabon Gari area of Kano.
According to a statement titled, ‘President Buhari meets victims of Kano explosion, expresses sorrow’, by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, the President who visited Kano to officiate at the Nigerian Air Force Day and 58th Anniversary Celebration, veered off the official programme to pay a condolence visit to the Palace.
The statement said family members of the deceased, accompanied by various community leaders resident in Sabon Gari that included the Eze Igbo, Nicholas Ibekwe, were assembled at the palace of the Emir of Kano, Aminu Bayero, for the meeting with the President.
In a brief address, the President said he was “extremely pained by the loss of lives and injury to many due to the explosion,” adding “my thoughts and that of the nation are with the bereaved families. I hope the injured people will recover fully at the earliest possible time.”
Speaking during the President’s visit, Governor Abdullahi Ganduje said his had already provided N9m to the families of the deceased.
He said 27 persons were seriously injured and the state had taken over the medical bills, adding that the had taken measures to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
Contact: [email protected]