I dropped my presidential ambition in South-West interest – Amosun

Amosun1

A former Governor of Ogun State, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, said the declaration of support for the South-West aspirant by the northern governors of the All Progressives Congress prompted him to step down for the presidential candidate of the party, Bola Tinubu.

Amosun and other presidential aspirants from the South, including governor of Ekiti State, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, and former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole, stepped down for Tinubu in the middle of the convention that was held from June 6 to 8 in Abuja.

The former governor made his position known on Thursday while addressing his supporters who converged on the Alake Palace Pavilion in Abeokuta for a welcome rally.

Amosun, who addressed his supporters both in English and Yoruba, said he was not desperate to be the party’s presidential candidate.

He said he allotted 20 per cent interest to the presidential contest while he gave the remaining 80 per cent to the general interest of the South-West and Nigeria.

READ ALSO:  Nigeria 3 - 0 Lesotho Ratings: Onuachu drives home point

He said, “My wanting to be President cannot supersede the interest of all of us in Nigeria, all of us in the South, all of us in the South-West.

“It got to a point that we realised when our brother governors from the North were even rooting for the presidency to go to the south.

“We then knew that if we want the presidency to come to the South, all of us must find a way to unite. We must find a way to drop all these personal ambitions for the overall interest of all of us in the entire South and particularly, the South-West.”

Meanwhile, Amosun said except former President Olusegun Obasanjo, no politician from the state, either dead or alive, had served Ogun State more than he has done.

News Source


Tech Solutions with THE DGIT:

Build Your Websites and Mobile Apps

READ ALSO:  Ogun APC intact - Sanusi –
%d bloggers like this: